Friday, April 17, 2015

Switching Lawyers

Switching Lawyers


A guide to successfully switching lawyers
Published in: Law



Transcript

  • 1. How to Successfully Switch Lawyers www.jeremysutton.co.nz
  • 2. When to Switch Lawyers Changing your lawyer is not an easy decision. But it’s important to know that you are entitled to change lawyers, if you feel your lawyer is behaving unethically, if your case is not making progress, or the quality of your representation is not up to standard. Ask yourself the following questions to help you decide whether or not to change lawyers. www.jeremysutton.co.nz
  • 3. • Does my lawyer have the knowledge needed to handle my case? • Is my lawyer affording my case the attention it deserves? • Has my lawyer disclosed any confidential information relating to my case? • Does my lawyer have a conflict of interest with any of the other parties involved in my case? • Is my lawyer adhering to the Rules of Professional Conduct? • Is my case progressing at a satisfactory rate? www.jeremysutton.co.nz
  • 4. • Have meetings been rescheduled repeatedly without explanation? • Has my lawyer failed to meet deadlines or due dates? • Do documents frequently contain errors? • Does my lawyer ask the same questions repeatedly and forget important details? • Can I trust my lawyer? • Is the information I provide kept in the strictest of confidence? • Does my lawyer have my best interests at heart? • Does my lawyer treat me with respect? www.jeremysutton.co.nz
  • 5. What to Expect From Your Lawyer Whatever legal services your lawyer is providing, he or she must at all times: • Act competently in accordance with instructions. • Protect and promote your interests. • Treat you fairly, respectfully and without discrimination. • Discuss your objectives with you. • Provide clear and concise information and advice. • Charge a fee that is fair and reasonable. • Keep you informed about the progress of work. • Deal with any complaints promptly and fairly. www.jeremysutton.co.nz
  • 6. How to Change Lawyers Changing lawyers is not as painful as it may appear. In fact, we make it easy for you, because we handle everything. To switch lawyers simply: 1 Contact Jeremy Sutton Barristers and instruct us to take over your case. 2 We’ll contact your current lawyer and request a handover of all of your documentation. 3 We’ll provide you with an outline of the work we will undertake, along with a timeframe and cost. www.jeremysutton.co.nz
  • 7. Our Experience Many of our clients have switched to our law firm because of poor representation. We understand that it’s not a decision taken lightly, so endeavour to make it as easy and as painless as possible. Here’s what some of our clients had to say about switching to Jeremy Sutton Barristers: www.jeremysutton.co.nz
  • 8. “Jeremy and his staff have helped me and guided me in desperate times. I wouldn't know what to do without him. There is no one else I would rather have there for me and my children in the family court.” “I always felt re-assured and confident that he would get the results we planned. I would recommend Jeremy and his team to anyone looking for a solicitor to do a decent job.” “Jeremy arranged urgent representation for a good client of mine over the holiday period. He was efficient and good to deal with and the barrister he assigned was competent and gave my client comfort and support as well as effective advocacy.” www.jeremysutton.co.nz
  • 9. Why Jeremy Sutton Barristers? At Jeremy Sutton Barristers we offer our clients a clear approach, developing a plan of action that saves unnecessary argument further down the track. We recognise the disruption that any legal conflict can cause in your life, and we do our best to ensure that every client receives clear, helpful and practical advice. If you are considering switching lawyers, get in touch with us. We’ll provide insight that will hopefully help you decide whether or not switching lawyers is right for you. www.jeremysutton.co.nz
  • 10. Get in Touch Auckland Office: (09) 309 4647 Email: jeremy@jeremysutton.co.nz Urgent Calls: 021 369 488 www.jeremysutton.co.nz SEND US A MESSAGE